Todd C. Baumgartner
Todd is a member of the firm’s Business Department and the chair of the General Corporate Practice Group. He counsels clients from middle market to Fortune 500 companies in the areas of business law, real estate, and mergers and acquisitions for 15 years. His extensive experience includes the negotiation and consummation of acquisitions and dispositions of diverse businesses ranging in value from $200,000 to more than $100 million. He has handled a wide range of real estate transactions for both private and public sector clients.
Todd earned a J.D. from the Capital University Law School in 2002 and a Bachelor of Science in Financial Management from Grove City College in 1999.
- Represented merger of Pennsylvania hospital and health system into another hospital system.
- Represented client in purchase of chemical dependency treatment facility in Ohio.
- Represented client in sale of skilled nursing and assisted living facility in Wooster, Ohio.
- Represented client in the sale of medical device manufacturing company.
- Represented seller of chemical dependency, search engine optimization company.
- Represented sale of meat distributing company in San Jose, California to publicly traded food supplier.
- Lead counsel in joint venture purchase of specialty manufacturing company.
- Representing client purchasing 110 bed skilled nursing and assisted living facility in Northeast Ohio
- Representing client in the sale of $200 million hospital facility
- Representing client in purchase of assisted living, alarm services company
- Representing client in sale of 65 unit, senior housing complex
- Representing client in sale of 70 bed skilled nursing facility
- Represented a long term care facility in purchasing pharmacy services company
- Lead counsel in sale of Chinese manufacturing distribution company
- Co-counsel in private equity acquisition of foundry in Alabama
- Lead counsel in sale of client's recycling petroleum division
- Counseled client in issuance of Series A subscription private offering
- Represented client in purchase of manufacturing facility in Michigan
- Lead counsel in representation of the purchase of chemical plant in Lake County, Ohio
- Represented corporation in sale of stock in excess of $100,000,000
- Represented Lorain County Community College in establishing its satellite branch in Wellington, Ohio
- Lead counsel in representation of corporation in $13,000,000 refinance
- Lead counsel in structuring and forming a $4,000,000 joint venture
- Lead counsel in the sale of $38 million non-profit continuous care retirement center
- Represented buyer in purchase of real property for South Carolina skilled nursing/assisted living facility
- Lead counsel for seller in the sale of biomedical services company
- Represented joint venture in the purchase of manufacturing company
- Represented non-profit continuous care retirement center in $28 million tax-exempt bond financing
- Represented lender in financing of residential facility for developmental disabilities
- Represented seller in sale of 100,000+ square foot shopping center, grocery store, and pharmacy
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of 45,000 square foot facility
Admissions - State
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Rising Stars ( 2010, 2014-2017)
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers (2016 and 2017)
- Lorain County Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Knickerbocker Senior Center, Director 2013 - Present
- Lorain County Manufacturing Council, Director 2003 – Present
- Rockwell Springs Trout Club, House and Grounds Committee – 2010 - Present
- Imagine Cleveland Academy, Director 2012 – 2016
- Lorain County StartHeart Walk Committee, Member (2009 – 2010)
- Lorain County Historical Society, Trustee (2003 – 2007)
- Leadership Lorain County, Graduate Class of 2004
- US Treasury posts additional guidance on Paycheck Protection Program
- SBA issues final interim rule for Paycheck Protection Program
- CARES Act: An early analysis of the historic Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act
- Confronting the impossibility of performing under a contract: Using a force majeure provision in response to the coronavirus outbreak
- CMS final rule overturns arbitration ban in long-term care resident agreements
- Letters of intent: Binding or non-binding
- Ohio to implement liquor buyback program in response to COVID-19
- SBA loans available for small businesses suffering due to coronavirus
- CMS allows pre-dispute arbitration provisions in long-term care residency agreements
- “The Necessary Steps to Acquire a Company,” Author, Brouse McDowell Business Minutes (January 29, 2016)
- "The Threat is Real - Governing Your Company Through the Age of Cybersecurity Attacks," Co-Author, Smart Business News Magazine (November 2015)
- "Negotiating Accountable Care Organization Participation Agreements on Behalf of Long Term Care Facilities," Author, AHLA LTC-SIR Advisor, Volume 18, Issue 1 (February 2015)
- "Be Proactive - Four Common Mistakes in Business That Won't Cost You Much to Avoid," Author, Smart Business News, Akron/Canton (August 2014)
- "Click-wrap Contracts - How Purchase Agreements Have Changed in the Digital Age," Author, Smart Business News, Akron/Canton (December 2013)
- There is No Vaccine for Financial Challenges: Thinking Strategically About Your Post-COVID Future | Wednesday, February 24, 2021
- Presenter, "COVID-19 Contractors Playbook: Employment, Loans and Construction Contract Issues," National Association of the Remodeling Industry (May 13, 2020)
- Presenter, "Federal and Local Government Financial Relief for Small Businesses: Demystifying the New Loan Programs and Applying for Relief," Women's Business Development Center (April 7, 2020)
- Presenter, Drafting Operating Agreements, National Business Institute (August 2011)
- Presenter, Material Adverse Effect Clauses, Northeast Ohio Association Corporate Counsel (June 2011)
- Presenter, LLC vs. Incorporation: Choosing the Right Business Structure, National Business Institute (December 2010)
- Presenter, "Prescription Drug Crisis: Liability and Prevention for Providers," LeadingAge Ohio's Skilled Nursing Facilities Regulatory Day (2014)