Theodore J. Esborn
Senior Of Counsel
Ted Esborn focuses his practice on all aspects of environmental law including CERCLA and RCRA litigation and Federal Clean Air Act and Clean Water Act issues. Ted also advises clients on environmental issues in acquisition and divestiture transactions and in the remediation of contaminated properties under state authorized “Brownfield” projects. In 2004 Ted was selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers, designated for environmental law.
Prior to joining McDonald Hopkins in 1992, Ted served as Commissioner to the City of Cleveland’s Divisions of Environmental Health and Air Pollution Control. He also served eight years in the City of Cleveland Law Department as Assistant Law Director and as Chief Assistant Law Director to the Health and the Environmental Section.
Admissions - Court
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
Admissions - State
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Washington and Jefferson College
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Ohio Super Lawyers (2004)
- Co-produced the award winning PBS documentary “The Return of the Cuyahoga"
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association -- Environmental Law Committee
- Ohio State Bar Association
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Earth Day Coalition (Advisory Council)
- Cuyahoga River Remedial Action Plan (Coordinating and Steering Committee)
- Cuyahoga River Community Planning Organization (President)
- America's River Communities (Vice-Chairman)
- Ohio Network for the Chemically Injured
- Will the late Justice Scalia have the last word on WOTUS?
- Compliance selfies for oil and gas production sites?
- Endangered bat poses new challenges for property owners and developers
- Efforts to clarify “Waters of the United States” halted by nationwide stay
- "Environmental Services Spotlight on Water Management," (Featured pg. 22-25) Browns Gibbons Lang & Company, January 2014
- “Despite Earthquake, Deep Injection Wells Continue to Play a Major Role in Utica and Marcellus Activities,” McDonald Hopkins Alert, May 2012
- “U.S. EPA Issues First-Ever Fracking Standards,” McDonald Hopkins Alert, May 2012
- “The Supreme Court Again Makes Waves Over the Clean Water Act,” McDonald Hopkins Alert, April 2012
- “Ohio EPA’s New Industrial Storm Water General Permit,” McDonald Hopkins Alert, January 2012
- “The President Abandons a Tighter Ozone Standard,” McDonald Hopkins Alert, September 2011
- “Going Green?” McDonald Hopkins Alert, October 2010
- “Carbon Regulation: How to Prepare for Future Versions of Cap and Trade Legislation,” Smart Business Magazine, March 2010
- “What Does Cap and Trade Mean to Your Business?” McDonald Hopkins Alert, March 2010
- “Manage the Price of Your Electricity,” McDonald Hopkins Alert, June 2009
- “As the Globe Warms, the Debate Heats Up!” McDonald Hopkins Alert, June 2009
- “Don’t Get ‘Bogged’ Down: How to Ensure that Wetland Concerns Won’t Soak Your Building Projects,” Smart Business Magazine, July 2008