Robert A. Cohen
Robert is an experienced litigation attorney who over many years has represented leaders in the title insurance industry, including, among others:
- Attorneys’ Title Insurance Fund
- Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
- Fidelity National Title Insurance Company
- First American Title Insurance Company
- Stewart Title Insurance Company
- Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company
- Lawyers Title Insurance Company
- WFG National Title Insurance Company
Robert’s extensive real estate, business and litigation experience provides his clients with a unique advantage when it comes to their transactions, as well as any disputes that evolve. That same knowledge base has also provided a strong foundation for his industry leadership in real estate and title litigation. The title insurance industry regularly retains him for their most challenging issues including the forensic analysis of frauds and the defalcation of escrow funds. When a client suspects that a fraud or theft has occurred, Robert calls upon his national contacts, his many years of experience, his sophisticated negotiation skills and, through the application of injunctive and extraordinary relief, seeks an efficient result that reduces loss and increases the ability for salvage. This same experience has allowed Robert to assist many clients facing the loss of funds as a result of the wire fraud epidemic. The nature of his forensic work exposes him to many jurisdictions throughout the United States. As a result of his efforts in the real estate fraud arena, he often works with law enforcement and has been called upon by the Florida Bar to lecture, as well as testify, in disciplinary proceedings.
A native of Milwaukee, Wis., Robert earned his law degree from the University of Miami in 1980 after receiving a bachelor's degree in construction administration in 1977 from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He is a member of the Florida Bar and, prior to joining McDonald Hopkins, served as President and managing shareholder of Cohen | Ruiz.
- Gorrin v. Poker Run, 137 So. 3d 1102 (Fla. 3d DCA 2014).
- Winkler v. Lawyers Title, 41 So. 3d 414 (Fla. 3d DCA 2010).
- Lawyers Title v. Novastar, 862 So. 2d 793 (Fla. 4th DCA 2004).
- Hechtman v. Nations Title, 840 So. 2d 993 (Fla. 2003).
- Dubai Islamic Bank v. Attorneys’ Title Insurance Fund, Inc., 778 So. 2d 413 (Fla.3d DCA 2001).
- Palm Beach Savings v. Fishbein, 619 So. 2d 267 (Fla. 1993).
- Devon-Aire Villas v Americable Associates, 490 So. 2d 60 (Fla. 3d DCA 1985).
Admissions - Court
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
Admissions - State
- University of Miami School of Law
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
Honors and Awards
- ESGR Patriot Award Recipient (2014)
- American Bar Association
- Miami - Dade County Bar Association
- U.S. Department of Justice Mortgage Fraud Training Program (2007)
- Chair, ABA Title Insurance Litigation Committee (2003-2004)
- Chair, Title Insurance Agent Defalcation Seminar (1993)
- Chair, Florida Bar Grievance Committee (1990-1991)
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Past Director - David and Mary Alper JCC
- Committee Chair, Miami-Dade County Mayor’s Mortgage Fraud Taskforce (2007-2009)
- Florida Land Title Association’s Defense Roundtable (numerous presentations)
- Attorneys’ Title Insurance Fund Annual Assembly (numerous presentations)
- American Land Title Association - Speaker Internal Auditors Committee (2017)
- Corporate Client - Title Agent Education Series Speaker (2005, 2013)
- ABA Title Insurance Litigation Speaker Spring / Annual Meetings (2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2013)
- Miami-Dade Real Property Council - “Files, Bean Counting” (2011)
- Florida Bar Problems Study Committee - “What Your Files Say About You” (2008)
- Law Society of Upper Canada - “Fighting Real Estate Fraud” (2004)
- Florida Bar “Real Estate Litigation – Is Anyone Listening?” (1995)
- Moderator/Chair, Title Insurance Agent Defalcation Seminar (1993)