Ilirjan (Ilir) is the Chair of the Securities Practice Group. He has significant experience is securities, M&A and general corporate transactions. Ilir counsels companies on a regular basis on a variety of securities matters, including securities offerings, disclosures, filings and related compliance obligations. Ilir has broad M&A experience representing buyers and sellers of companies operating in a spectrum of industries, including representing private equity funds and search funds in connection with their acquisition transactions.
- Represented preferred stockholder in sale of its investment to the company in the amount of $12M.
- Represented architectural and engineering firm in sale of business to a private equity group for $30M.
- Represented several clients in formation of private equity funds ranging from $25M to $100M in size and advise them on their reporting obligations as "exempt reporting advisers".
- Represented registered public companies, investment companies and investment advisers in filings made with the SEC (10-Ks, 10-Qs, proxy statements, annual reports, Form ADVs) and advised them on SEC reporting requirements and compliance issues.
- Represented online compliance training leader Workplace Answers in its sale to EVERFI, Inc., the nation’s leading education technology innovator.
- Represented client, a leading provider of AML/BSA solutions to financial institutions, in the sale of the company for $125M.
- Represented buyer in purchase of assets from several manufacturers of custom architectural woodworking for public and commercial buildings, including hospitals, schools, banks, retail stores, restaurants and hotels.
- Counseled significant shareholder of public company on beneficial reporting requirements and sale of over $3M of public company stock in compliance with Rule 144.
- Represented management of a company engaged in selling commercial lift trucks in purchasing controlling interest of such company from existing shareholders.
- Represented client in purchasing assets of company engaged in manufacturing and distributing products for the garage door industry for $13.5M.
- Represented client in $15M sale of company engaged in the business of selling marketing leads including names, phone numbers, home addresses, and/or email addresses, to service providers in the real estate, home and garden, and insurance industries.
- Represented client in forming a $50M real estate investment fund and setting up the management structure of the fund.
- Represented a technology company in acquiring a new operating subsidiary for $10M.
- Represented one of the largest mail carriers in the world in conducting an internal survey of its employees regarding the company’s compliance with laws in various areas.
- Represented public and private companies in completing reverse and forward stock splits.
- Represented public utility company in 1934 Act filings and a series of primary and secondary public offerings including (1) a public, secondary offering of 800,000 shares of common stock by a major shareholder, (2) a public, secondary offering of 1M shares of common stock by its CEO and CFO; and (3) a primary, public offering of 1.725M of newly issued common stock.
- Played key role in the representation of a public utility company in a $10M acquisition of a gas marketing company and adoption of rights agreement (poison pill) to ward off future advances of hostile acquirers.
- Represented minority shareholders in an effort to acquire controlling interest in publicly-traded company and control of the board.
- Represented private equity firm in a $25M acquisition of a battery manufacturer and the $22M sale of a portfolio company engaged in the sale of various medical products; represented same client in $50M private placement.
- Assisted in the representation of a closely-held corporation engaged in the business of providing surgical instruments to hospitals in the $70M sale of the company.
- Represented company operating in the nickel industry in the $10 million redemption of the ownership interest held by one of its members.
Admissions - State
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Baldwin Wallace College
- Case Western Reserve University Weatherhead School of Management
- MH Business Exchange Episode 10 helps businesses understand securities considerations when raising capital
- Legal tips to consider if you’re buying a drone this holiday season
- SEC challenges severance agreements restricting whistleblowers
- FAA finalizes commercial drone rules
- New proposed rules on executive compensation at financial institutions
- Special Purpose Acquisition Companies
- SEC adopts amendments clarifying exemptions to private offerings
- SEC modernizes the definition of accredited investor
- Be mindful of any statements or disclosures involving COVID-19
- SEC response to coronavirus outbreak
- SEC proposes expanded definitions of “accredited investor” and “qualified institutional buyer”
- SEC continues to treat cryptocurrency as securities
- Is an initial coin offering a sale of securities?
- The impact of representation and warranty insurance in indemnification provisions of M&A purchase agreements
- SEC reports large increase in capital raised via private placements
- Tesla embroiled in SEC dispute over Elon Musk's recent tweets
- New reporting requirements applicable to investment advisors
- Representation and warranty insurance 101
- How to avoid general solicitation in a Rule 506(b) private offering of securities
- Summary of the annual updates to the ISS and Glass Lewis proxy voting guidelines
- Four attorneys elected as members at McDonald Hopkins
- Everfi acquires Workplace Answers
- Attorney Ilirjan Pipa joins McDonald Hopkins
- Episode 21: Securities implications of blockchain technology
- Episode 15: Use of representation and warranty insurance in M&A Deals
- Episode 10: Securities considerations when raising capital
- "Whole Foods Activist Shareholder Rings in New Year with a Win" – Co-Author, NYSE Governance Services' Insights newsletter (February 2015)
- "Winning Wisdom Garnered from the Cavs for Corporate Buyers" – Co-Author, Crain's Cleveland Business (January 2015)
- 2018 Year-end Accounting and Tax Update | Wednesday, November 28, 2018
- Blockchain is coming: Are you ready? | Tuesday, October 9, 2018
- M&A Representations and Warranties Insurance | Thursday, July 12, 2018
- Webinar, "Representation and Warranty Insurance in M&A transactions," Speaker, Knowledge Group (July 2018)