Colin M. Battersby
Colin is a member in the firm’s national Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Practice Group. He is certified by the International Association of Privacy Professionals as a Certified Information Professional for the United States, which is considered the gold standard for information privacy professionals.
He advises clients on best practices to prevent and respond to cybersecurity concerns, including leading data breach incident response efforts in combination with forensic technical vendors and company decision-makers, provides counsel on post-breach notice obligations in accordance with state data breach notice statutes or specific contractual obligations, drafts and coordinates the delivery of required notice throughout the United States and advises on post-breach remedial measures.
Prior to joining McDonald Hopkins, Colin was the co-founder and co-leader of the Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Service at Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, P.L.C.
Colin also represents large and small businesses across many industries in claims alleging breach of contract, tort, product liability, legal and accounting malpractice and securities violations.
He earned his J.D. from Wayne State University Law School in 2007. Colin received a Bachelor of Economics from the University of Michigan in 2004.
Admissions - Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Admissions - State
- Wayne State University Law School
- University of Michigan
Honors and Awards
- Selected for inclusion in Michigan Rising Stars (2013-2017)
- Leadership Oakland, LOXXI Graduating Class
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- State Bar of Michigan
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Old Newsboys’ Goodfellows Fund of Detroit, Board of Directors
- Potential imminent cyber threat to hospitals and healthcare providers
- Don’t get hooked by W-2 phishing scams this tax season
- 50 out of 50: Every state in US now has a breach notification law
- Nevada updates privacy law, requires offer to opt out of data sale
- Blockchain on board!
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission expands cybersecurity incident reporting requirements
- Texas enacts new laws bolstering cybersecurity of utilities and electric cooperatives
- Criminals and regulators validate CEO concerns: Cybersecurity and data privacy prevention is a must
- JPMorgan Chase the first major bank to create its own digital currency
- "From hackers to ransomware, governments byte back on cyberattacks"
- WWJ Cybersecurity Panel At LTU Offers Advice To The ‘Pwned’
- Battersby, Masterson, Smith and Tito elected to membership of McDonald Hopkins LLC
- McDonald Hopkins Hires Privacy Atty From Miller Canfield
- Data privacy and cybersecurity attorney Colin Battersby joins McDonald Hopkins
- Quoted, " Governments Byte Back on Cyberattacks," Corp! Magazine, November/December 2019
- Quoted, “Deadline looms for broad new EU data privacy rules,” Crain’s Detroit Business (February 18, 2018)
- Quoted, “Online protection vital for today’s law firms,” Detroit Legal News (June 2, 2017)
- “Law firms are setting up cyber specialties as attacks grow,” Michigan Lawyers Weekly (May 22, 2017)
- Cybersecurity: Technology, Risk and the Law | Monday, September 23, 2019
- Blockchain is coming: Are you ready? | Tuesday, October 9, 2018
- Speaker, "Data Privacy and Cybersecurity for your Practice and Personal Life: Protecting your Most Valuable Assets," Strategic Wealth Consulting Group, Inc., Troy, Michigan, February 5, 2020
- Panelist, "Harnessing the Blockchain for Tax...Practical Business Strategies to Incorporate Technology and How Fully Implemented Blockchain Technology Will Transform Business Tax Departments," 29th Annual Ohio Business Tax Conference, January, 29, 2020
- Panelist, “A Look at the Land: Regional FBI Cyber Threat Briefing," Cleveland, Ohio, November 21, 2019
- "Be Ready for the Billion Dollar Scam," ePlace Solutions Webinar, October 29, 2019
- Panelist, "Cybersecurity," WWJ Newsradio 950’s Leaders & Innovators Series, October 17, 2019
- Speaker, “Data Privacy and Cybersecurity for Municipalities,” Bay City, Michigan, October 26, 2018
- Panelist, "Cybersecurity Symposium," Travelers Institute, Oak Brook, Illinois, October 24, 2018
- Speaker, “Creating the Best Incident Response Plan with McDonald Hopkins," Webinar, September 19, 2018
- Panelist, “Protecting the fleet… and the car business: Today’s cyber-physical threats disrupts automotive operating models,” KPMG’s 13th Annual Automotive Executive Forum, Cobo Center, Detroit, January 17, 2018
- “Cybersecurity for the Energy Sector,” Findlay, Ohio, November 30, 2017
- "An Update on Cybersecurity in the Financial Industry," Birmingham, Michigan, October 12, 2017
- “Why and How You Must Secure Your Business from a Cyber Attack,” Small Business Legal Academy, Masonic Temple, Detroit, May 22, 2017
- “Cybersecurity for the Energy Sector,” Jackson, Michigan, April 26, 2017
- “Cybersecurity Concerns for Mid-Marketing Lending,” Detroit, April 19, 2017
- Panelist, “The Law of Data and Cybersecurity,” Wayne State University Law School, November 20, 2016
- "Cybersecurity Issues for In-House Counsel," Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, October 27, 2016
- "Cybersecurity Issues Facing the Financial Industry," Birmingham, Michigan, October 20, 2016