Christal L. Contini
Christal is a member and a co-chair of the Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Group. Her practice is also focused on representing physician practice groups, medical laboratories, behavioral health facilities, search funds and both strategic buyers and sellers in various types of transactions, including complex mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, leveraged buyouts, distressed acquisitions and dispositions, financings, and investments. Christal also provides general corporate counseling to a variety of middle market businesses, business owners, boards of directors, management teams and investors on matters relating to corporate governance, commercial contracts, compliance and operational issues. Her industry experience covers a wide array of industries such as healthcare, quick-service and full-service franchise restaurants, polymers and manufacturing. Christal has also served in an in-house counsel capacity for a pathology laboratory, a software service provider, a polymer manufacturer and an international manufacturer and distributor of household and commercial products.
Christal earned a J.D., magna cum laude, from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law in 2008 and served as Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Law and Health. She received a B.A., cum laude, from Ashland University in 2003.
Middle Market Representative Matters:
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of the platform fire protection services company and subsequent add-on acquisitions.
- Represented family owned custom rubber manufacturer in its acquisition of multiple add on companies.
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of a manufacturing and commercial sales of scales and dimensioning systems business.
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of a specialty chemicals business.
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of a lawn maintenance and pest control business.
- Represented a private equity search fund in the acquisition of a software as a service business.
- Represented a private equity search fund in the acquisition of an ambulatory services business.
- Represented a private equity fund in the disposition of an analytics and channel customer engagement firm.
- Represented multi-national inks and coatings manufacturer in the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a large U.S. based inks and coatings manufacturer for $100 million.
- Represented Quaker Steak and Lube, owner, operator and franchisor of over 65 casual dining restaurants, in the sale of substantially all of its assets to a strategic public company buyer pursuant to a §363 sale out of bankruptcy.
- Represented large manufacturer in the sale of certain assets to a private equity backed company as part of an add-on acquisition.
- Represented large manufacturer in the sale of certain assets to current management.
- Represented large manufacturer in the sale of certain assets to a publicly traded multinational company.
- Represented selling company in sale of assets to private equity fund as part of a roll-up of companies.
- Represented franchisee in the disposition of multiple restaurants in four states.
- Represented buyers and sellers in asset sales, stock sales, and mergers.
- Represented buyers and sellers in §363 and Article 9 transactions.
Healthcare Representative Matters:
- Represented a Midwest multi-specialty dermatology practice in its sale to a private equity fund.
- Represented a West Coast dermatology practice in its sale to a private equity fund.
- Represented a joint venture in providing DIP financing and acquiring a leading operator of an addiction treatment facility out of bankruptcy.
- Represented an owner and operator of an adult day support and vocational habilitation business, in its sale to a private equity backed strategic purchaser.
- Represented an opioid addiction treatment facility, in its sale of stock to a private equity backed strategic purchaser.
- Represented physician owned medical laboratory in the sale to a private equity fund that will serve as the original platform company for future add-on acquisitions.
- Represented a substance abuse and drug rehabilitation center in its sale of stock to a public healthcare company.
- Represented large regional medical laboratory in sale of assets to a publicly-traded laboratory company.
- Represented healthcare technology company in debt/equity financing transaction.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in partial sale/strategic alliance transaction.
- Represented dental practice in sale of assets to a strategic purchaser.
- Represented individual radiologists in the sale of a multi-national radiology practice to a private-equity backed platform company.
- Represented numerous pathologist-owned medical laboratories involved in merger, acquisition and joint venture activities.
- Represented clients in the formation and operation of joint ventures in the healthcare industry.
Admissions - State
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- Ashland University
Honors and Awards
- Selected for Crain's Cleveland Notable Women in Law (2018)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Public Service and Volunteerism
- Dobama Theatre (Board of Directors)
- Key Legal Issues in Laboratory Mergers & Acquisitions
- Lifeway Foods CEO Julie Smolyansky discusses growing as a female executive with McDonald Hopkins panel
- "Bargain shopping: navigating the purchase of a distressed business"
- McDonald Hopkins holds event on exit strategies for company founders
- MH Business Exchange Episode 2 informs owners how to prepare business for a sale
- Contini, Sullivan named co-chairs at McDonald Hopkins
- DCI Design Communications acquires EthoStream
- McDonald Hopkins elects four Members
- "Don't let due diligence deflect from the deal of a lifetime," Crain's Cleveland Business, January 19, 2018
- "Materiality scrape' can be more than a minor cut," Crain's Cleveland Business, January 14, 2017
- "Considering a Sale of Your Business? Be Familiar with the Concept of an Earnout," RBMA Monthly Legal Update Digest August 2011
- Countermeasures against organizational and economic distress | Wednesday, July 29, 2020
- Treatment Center Investment and Valuation Retreat | Tuesday, December 10, 2019
- Paving the Path to a Distressed M&A Acquisition | Wednesday, October 23, 2019
- Navigating your growth as a female executive | Tuesday, June 11, 2019
- Executive War College 2019 Conference on Laboratory & Pathology Management | Tuesday, April 30, 2019
- AHLA Healthcare Transactions | Thursday, May 10, 2018
- Executive War College 2018 Conference on Laboratory & Pathology Management | Tuesday, May 1, 2018
- The founder's exit strategy: From beginning to end | Thursday, February 22, 2018
- “Revenue Results and Recognition: Preparing for a Successful 2020”, Doug Edwards, Moderator; Panel: Christal Contini, Raul Ruelas, Daniel Natterman, Greg Keilin, Treatment Center Investment and Valuation Retreat, December 10, 2019
- “Threats and Opportunities for Hospital and Health Network Laboratories”, Christal Contini, Moderator; Panel: Stan Schofield, Christopher Jahnle, Jason Newmark, Executive War College, April 30, 2019
- “What Lab Buyers See as Opportunity in Today’s Market: Clinical Labs, Hospital Outreach Businesses, Pathology Groups, and Molecular/Genetic Lab Companies, Christal Contini, Moderator, Panel: Noel Maring, Anil Asnani, Geoffrey Albrecht, Executive War College, April 30, 2019
- "Business and Clinical Strategies for Anatomic Pathology Groups and Pathology Labs: Weighing the Options of Capital Infusion, Acquisition, Sale, or Merger", Christal Contini, Moderator; Panel: Tom Rehwald, Michael Cohen, John Reiboldt, Al Sirmon, Executive War College, May 1, 2018