Adam C. Smith
Adam represents clients zealously and practically with a focus on leveraging client-driven results. Adam takes pride in listening to his client’s issues, applying thoughtful and creative legal expertise, and devising value-added solutions.
Adam has significant experience representing public and private entities in complex business and commercial law matters and disputes, trade secret, non-compete, and unfair competition matters, uniform commercial code interpretation and litigation, labor and employment issues, real property matters, including eminent domain, commercial foreclosure, commercial leasing, real estate tax appeals and tax exemptions, and easement issues, various regulatory matters, data privacy issues, large-scale personal injury and property damage lawsuits, and contract interpretation and related disputes.
Adam also has significant experience drafting and analyzing multi-faceted commercial and financial agreements, complex resolution documents, and various property-related instruments. Adam further assists clients with contract analysis and interpretation in connection with due diligence efforts, issues concerning the automotive industry, analysis and interpretation of commercial insurance policies and coverage issues, and matters requiring emergency response.
Adam regularly presents to organizations and clients regarding various topics in which Adam has legal expertise. Adam has been a member of the William K. Thomas Inn of Court for over eight years. Adam also is on the Board of Directors for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Lorain County and regularly serves and supports various charitable and community organizations.
Prior to joining McDonald Hopkins LLC, Adam clerked for the Honorable Dick Ambrose. There, Adam gained valuable litigation experience and established unique relationships. Adam earned his J.D., cum laude, from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law at Cleveland State University in 2011. He received a B.S. from the Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University in 2007.
Admissions - Court
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
Admissions - State
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- Fisher College of Business Ohio State University
Honors and Awards
- Named one of the Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (2021)
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association (2008-present)
- Ohio Bar Association (2008-present)
- 3R’s Program (2011-present)
- The William K. Thomas American Inn of Court (present)
- Ohio Supreme Court decides three critical Dormant Mineral Cases
- Merchants beware: You could be on the hook for the next data breach
- Multistate Tax Update - February 17, 2015
- ISIS hacks U.S. military social media accounts
- Enforceability of contracts during COVID-19: A litigator’s perspective
- Selective enforcement defense is not available under Ohio law
- Pending Missouri House Bill would ban almost all forms of restrictive covenants
- Hilton becomes latest retailer to experience a data breach
- Alabama's amended non-compete statute provides clarity for employers
- Lawyer of the Year honorees Riley and Welin among 42 McDonald Hopkins attorneys recognized as 2021 Best Lawyers
- Battersby, Masterson, Smith and Tito elected to membership of McDonald Hopkins LLC
- "Adobe Breach -- What Was Originally Thought to be 2.9 Million Hacked Turns Into Over 38 Million," RBMA Monthly Legal Update Digest November 2013
- "North Dakota Amends Data Breach Notification Statute to Include Protected Health Information," RBMA Monthly Legal Update Digest October 2013