2021 maximum charges for copies of medical records in Illinois
In Illinois, health care facilities and practitioners shall be reimbursed for all reasonable expenses by the person requesting copies of records, including the costs of independent copy service companies, handling charges for processing the request, and the actual postage or shipping charge, if any, plus copy charges. The Illinois Code of Civil Procedure (735 ILCS 5/8-2001(d)) initially set the maximum fees that can be charged and the actual dollar amount is adjusted annually by the Comptroller for the State of Illinois.
The maximum fees that can be charged for copying medical records in 2021 are as follows:
- Paper: $1.11 per page for the first 25 pages, $0.74 per page for pages 26 to 50, and $0.37 per page for each page in excess of 50.
- Microfiche or microfilm: $1.84 per page for copies made from microfiche or microfilm (records retrieved from digital formats do not qualify as microfiche or microfilm).
- Electronic records: The charge for copies made from electronic records cannot exceed 50% of the per page charge for paper copies. This charge includes the cost of each CD-ROM, DVD, or other storage media. Any records already maintained in an electronic or digital format must be provided in an electronic format if so requested unless the records system prohibits the facility or practitioner from doing so and the requester is informed in writing of such limitation.
- X-rays and pictures: The facility or practitioner can charge for the reasonable cost of duplication of any record material or information that cannot be routinely copied or duplicated on a standard copy machine, such as x-rays films or pictures.
- Handling change: In addition to the above, health care facilities and practitioners are permitted to charge $29.48 for processing the request and the actual postage or shipping cost.
If you have any questions about charges for copies of medical records in Illinois or any other state such as California, Colorado, Florida, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, or Ohio, please contact the attorney below.