Oil and gas
The oil and gas industry is not new to McDonald Hopkins. When the shale revolution came to the Appalachian Basin, we already had more than three decades of experience assisting clients with their development, leasing, transactional and litigation needs in what had been a relatively steady but low key business.
During those early years, we built a strong reputation representing public utilities in a wide variety of matters, including litigation, easements, personal injury and class actions. More recently, we combined these capabilities with our historic strengths in government relations, mergers and acquisitions, environmental law, regulatory matters, and restructuring.
When the shale revolution became a reality, we were in an excellent position to assist our current clients and attract new clients who sought help navigating the rapidly changing environment of oil and gas in the Marcellus and Utica shale formations.
We have the experience to satisfy your needs in an efficient and focused manner. With the ability to seamlessly call upon seasoned attorneys in corporate, real estate, regulatory, restructuring and tax to supplement our oil and gas expertise, we believe we will exceed your expectations.
Where is our firm today in this new and constantly changing world? You can find our attorneys almost everywhere.
- Helping pipeline companies acquire and manage easements to transport the gas, natural gas liquids and oil produced by the Utica and Marcellus shale plays
- Representing production and exploration companies
- Helping clients navigate Ohio’s Dormant Minerals Act, having argued a case before the Ohio Supreme Court
- Making it easier for clients to communicate their views and needs to government offices
- Helping clients understand and comply with Ohio’s oil and gas regulations
- Negotiating oil and gas leases on behalf of our clients
- Representing clients in a variety of transactional matters, including acting as Ohio and Illinois counsel in a utility’s acquisition of 10 power plants from another major utility
- Sharing our knowledge of the workings of the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO), having added the former chairman of the PUCO to our team
- Negotiating road use and maintenance agreements for our producer and midstream clients
- Representing clients in a variety of lawsuits throughout Ohio, including issues pertaining to property and mineral rights, Marketable Title Act issues, rights-of-way, easements, personal injury, and water rights
- Representing a broad spectrum of suppliers to the oil and gas industry in a variety of issues, including contracts, transactions, acquisitions, divestitures
- Negotiating joint venture agreements for our clients and advising them on tax matters