Over the past two decades, the U.S. energy industry has been transformed in a number of ways. What has not changed, however, is its boom or bust nature, as recent price declines have made clear. The cyclicality of the industry, coupled with increased government regulation, make financial distress almost inevitable for many businesses. And an energy business experiencing any type of financial distress requires advisors knowledgeable about the energy industry and the nuances of financial restructuring.
For over 20 years, McDonald Hopkins has been advising clients in the energy industry and in the unique aspects of business restructuring. Our Energy Restructuring group combines accomplished restructuring and energy professionals who have extensive experience in energy-related industries – from gas exploration and production, to pipeline and service companies. With expertise from a variety of legal disciplines, we provide effective and creative representation to those working in and providing services to upstream and midstream energy companies and services providers.
The Business Restructuring group at McDonald Hopkins is one of the largest and most sophisticated bankruptcy and restructuring practices focused in the middle-market. It has built a strong reputation as the advisors of choice for companies, boards, owners, lenders, creditors and buyers engaged in restructurings, distressed sales or bankruptcies.
The Energy group at McDonald Hopkins has years of experience advising a broad range of businesses in the energy industry – from production, generation and transmission, to distribution and sales. The McDonald Hopkins’ Energy group lawyers also counsel major industrial users of energy in areas of energy procurement.
In today’s challenging business environment, the McDonald Hopkins’ Energy Restructuring group can help your company find solutions. McDonald Hopkins works with owners, management and other advisors to develop the strategies, tactics and plans for successful operational improvement and restructuring.
- Representation of a coal-bed methane gas producer in its chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Representation of a recycler of energy industry byproducts in an out of court restructuring
- Representation of a private equity firm in an energy industry debt acquisition
- Representation of a private equity firm in a loan-to-own debt purchase of a Louisiana-based oilfield services company
- Representation of a purchaser of a pipeline servicing company out of a chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Representation of an official committee of unsecured creditors in a coal mining chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Representation of a syndicated lender in a bank workout of a national fracking company
- Representation of a public utility needing to perfect its interests with natural gas suppliers
- Representation of various contractors in the enforcement of mechanics’ liens against E&P companies
- Representation of supply and service companies as vendors to financial distressed companies in or out of chapter 11