Party Disputes: Litigation and Case Law Update for Licensing Lawyers
McDonald Hopkins member Stephen Rosenfeld will present a live webcast of Party Disputes: Litigation and Case Law Update for Licensing Lawyers to open a two-day program from Practising Law Institute. Each day of the Advanced Licensing Agreements 2021 series will feature seven sessions.
Why You Should Attend
Intellectual property licensing continues to grow increasingly complex with the legal, regulatory and technical landscape constantly evolving. Building and maintaining a successful and effective practice requires that practitioners stay sharp and current in a wide variety of key areas. Whether you are using licensing to develop technology, expand or create market opportunities, develop technology, or generate returns from existing assets, managing licensing transactions requires a broad and deep toolkit.
Additionally, whether licensing patents, copyrights, trade secrets or trademarks, the ability to structure, draft and negotiate complex license agreements is critical to a successful transaction.
This comprehensive program will feature updates on current legal developments, present case studies highlighting best practices, discuss tactics for negotiating frequently contested issues, and provide guidance on identifying and avoiding common pitfalls.
What You Will Learn
• Negotiating strategic alliances and other joint development agreements
• Advanced considerations in copyright, content, and trademark licensing
• Software licensing
• Walkthrough of the key provisions of a license agreement
• Drafting to account for litigation risks
• Recent developments in legal enforceability of open source licenses
• Special contract issues raised by cloud computing
• Licensing of Big Data
• Life sciences licensing
• Addressing international licensing issues
• Mastering effective negotiation strategies
Who Should Attend
This advanced program is focused on those who already have experience in the substantive area of intellectual property law, and who devote a substantial amount of their practice to licensing.
- Strategic drafting considerations to account for litigation risks
- Pitfalls, and examples of, sloppy wording
- Impact of recent cases on drafting and negotiating
- Arbitration and other dispute resolution considerations
- Case law update