STARTUP VENTURE CAPITAL ASSOCIATE
As a startup and venture capital associate at McDonald Hopkins, you will join an awesome team in a friendly atmosphere that works plenty hard, but with significantly better flexibility and work-life balance than big law. Our team will also prioritize your skill development and career goals as we do our own.
The ideal candidate: you will be a relentlessly resourceful person – which means you will have strong organizational and communication skills while displaying a take-ownership, self-starter mindset and a positive, high-energy attitude. Attention to detail, taking initiative without being asked, and technological savvy are all paramount.
In terms of day-to-day, you will be managing and leading all aspects for corporate transactions, including venture and seed financings, founder and employee equity issuances, corporate formations, corporate governance, venture debt facilities and daily “outside GC” management of startup clients. Our startup and VC transactions range from $100,000 SAFEs to $400 million Series D Financings and everything in between.
- Drafting and managing transactional matters, including venture and seed financing documents, corporate governing documents (charters, bylaws and operating agreements), commercial contracts, board resolutions and consents, employment agreements and equity incentive plans.
- Organizing and maintaining online platforms, including cap table management platforms (e.g., Carta), with proficiency at using software applications such as Word, Excel, document management systems and search engines.
- “Managing Up” by taking ownership of the clients assigned to, including managing calendars, deadlines, and communications between the client and the MH team, and “Managing Down” by supervising the work of other junior associates and paralegals.
- Juris Doctor and licensed to the state bar in your place of residence.
- Remote attorney applicants will be considered (the group is based in Chicago, IL).
- 2-5 years corporate or transactional experience at a law firm or in-house.
- Startup and VC or Big Law M&A experience is a plus, but not required.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, a list of representative matters, and a law school transcript.
McDonald Hopkins does not currently accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or headhunters.