PUBLIC RELATIONS SPECIALIST
McDonald Hopkins is a client-focused and forward-looking law firm seeking a Public Relations Specialist to join our team primarily working on public and media relations and related marketing communications projects to promote the firm and our attorneys.
Founded in 1930, McDonald Hopkins is a business advisory and advocacy law firm with locations in Baltimore/Annapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, and West Palm Beach. With more than 50 service and industry teams, the firm has the expertise and knowledge to meet the growing number of legal and business challenges our clients face. McDonald Hopkins has earned a reputation as a proactive and innovative business advisory and advocacy law firm which is consistently validated via our strong content strategy.
As a member of the Marketing and Business Development team, this role will report to the Director of Marketing and Client Development and Marketing Manager and provide proactive and comprehensive communications strategy and counsel to enhance the firm’s strategic public and media relations and supporting marketing communications initiatives internally and externally firmwide for all practice areas and in local and national markets.
We believe you will be enthused with the diversity the position offers including working on a variety of projects including all aspects of public and media relations including developing relationships with the media to obtain earned media opportunities, ghost writing and editing articles, developing additional engaging content such as infographics, enhancing the firm’s digital and social media presence and related work on developing integrated marketing communications plans.
PUBLIC AND MEDIA RELATIONS
- Work with Director of Marketing and Client Development to develop media strategy and reports
- In conjunction with Director of Marketing and Client Development and Marketing Manager, develop and manage public relations strategy for the firm, attorneys, practice groups, industry teams and geographic markets
- Build relationships with key publications and reporters to shape coverage; manage media outreach including helping our attorneys create relationships with reporters and pitch articles and client alerts, quotes, and interviews
- Draft and edit press releases
- Maintain media lists, track media coverage, respond to reporter requests and focus on proactive media opportunities from firm events
- Collaborate with outside PR agency, as needed, to execute identified strategic extension projects and high-value placements as well as work with firm leadership and Director or Marketing/Client Development to manage/mitigate any potential negative PR or media issues
- Serve as primary point of contact with media and reporters
ESSENTIAL MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work collaboratively with the Marketing, Events and Business Development team, attorneys, and staff to primarily support the firm’s communication and public and media relations strategy needs and opportunities
- This individual will work with the Marketing Manager and Director of Marketing and BD on strategic integrated marketing communications projects relating to attorney promotion, attorney recruiting and on-boarding, client, and industry-focused campaigns
- Identify and draft attorney awards nominations and summaries of awards
- Help with a long-term plan for firm content management, firm news and developments and best practices and guidelines
- Assist in drafting and editing of all firm promotional materials
- Help draft the Marketing and BD annual report
- Help manage the content on the firm’s website, social channels and intranet
WHAT WILL YOU BRING TO THE TABLE?
- At least five years of experience working in public and media relations is required; seven plus years are preferred.
- Experience as a journalist with a business publication valued but not required.
- Demonstrated track record of managing PR and media campaigns required
- Experience in a fast-paced and sophisticated legal or business environment required
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communications skills required; detail-oriented
- The firm requires that this individual have excellent writing and editing skills; familiarity with AP style preferred.
- Strong understanding of current digital marketing technology and best practices valued
- Strong knowledge of content and Web content management technologies, protocols, and development tools
- Proficiency with marketing communications productivity applications (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat); aptitude for learning new software strongly preferred
- Willingness to learn and adopt new methodologies
- This person must be a self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced work environment
- Flexibility and willingness to respond to issues during and outside of core business hours
- Bachelor’s degree required; public relations, journalism, communications, English or related experience or degree preferred
- This position can be based in Baltimore/Annapolis, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit or West Palm Beach. The position is eligible to participate in the firm's hybrid in-office work program.
This description outlines the basic requirements of this position. It is not intended to be a complete description as other duties may be assigned.
McDonald Hopkins does not currently accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or headhunters.
McDonald Hopkins is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity and inclusion. (Employment decisions are based on qualifications, merit and business need without regard to any protected category.)